Taj Pharma is the largest generic pharmaceutical company in India. We hold top positions in different established markets worldwide generics markets..
Generic Name : Cetuximab
Pronunciation : seh TUX ih mab
TradeName : Erbitux
• Cetuximab is a recombinant monoclonal antibody (antibody produced from a single clone of cell)
• It binds to Epidermal Growth Factor Receptors (EGFR) of cancer cells and inhibits their activation. This stops the cancer cells from dividing.
• It is a sterile, clear, colorless liquid with pH between 7.0 to 7.4.
• It is supplied as a 50 ml vial at a concentration of 2 mg/mL in phosphate -buffered saline.
Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
• Cetuximab, along with radiation therapy, is used for patients with locally or regionally advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.
• It is given to patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck, for whom platinum- based therapy had failed.
• In combination with Irinitecan, Cetuximab is used for treatment of patients with colorectal carcinoma.
• It is prescribed, as a single agent, to patients with metastatic colorectal carcinoma with intolerance to Irinotecan- based therapy.
When it is not to be taken (Contraindications) :
• There are no known contraindications for Cetuximab.
How it should be taken :
• It is given intravenously as a drip. It should not be administered as an IV push or bolus but as an IV infusion pump or infusion syringe
• Initially it is given slowly, for two hours.
• The recommended dose of the first infusion or loading dose of Cetuximab is 400 mg/m2, either in combination with Irinothecan or as a single agent
• All the other infusions given weekly, known as maintenance dose , with a concentration of 250 mg/m2, is given for an hour.
• It should be given with the use of a low protein binding 0.22-micrometer in-line filter.
Special Instruction :
• No drug interaction has been reported for Cetuximab.
Side Effects :
The following are the list of side effects due to Cetuximab.
• Feeling of weakness
• Acne- like rashes
Other Precautions :
• While using Cetuximab, patients are advised to use sun screen, hats and limit exposure to the sun, as it may exacerbate any skin reaction that may occur.
• Cetuximab, in combination with radiation therapy, should be used with caution in patients with known history of coronary artery disease, arrhythmias and congestive heart failure.
Storage Conditions :
• The vials should be stored at 2°C to 8°C
• They should never be frozen.
• Prepared Cetuximab infusions are chemically and physically stable for up to 12 hours at 2°C to 8°C and up to 8 hours at 20°C to 25°C.
• Unused portions of the vials must be discarded.
Note : This product information is intended only for residents of the India. Taj Pharmaceuticals Limited, medicines help to treat and prevent a range of conditions—from the most common to the most challenging—for people around the world.